Friday, April 10, 2009

Yummy, yummy American food

There are not many "American" restaurants that I like enough to worry about not being able to find them in Lyon. As mentioned in an earlier post, a good BBQ place would be nice, but for the most part when I miss American food, I mean the stuff I eat at home. Stuff like this:



Some of this stuff can be found in Lyon. Peanut butter is becoming more common, but still 3 to 4 times more expensive than in the states, and I have seen relish in a couple places (similarly expensive), but a lot of the american junk that I like cannot be found in Lyon.

Cereal is a big problem for me. I love cereal. I eat it for nearly every breakfast, and generally at least one night per week (is that healthy?). The supermarkets of Lyon have quite a few choices in the cereal isle, but every store has pretty much the same choices--Frosted Flakes, Golden Grahams, Corn Pops, and 45 different kinds of chocolate cereal. I don't like chocolate, and don't really like my cereals to be that sweet either. I like to eat cereals that I can pretend are good for me, like Raisin Bran, Chex and Frosted Mini-Wheats. I have yet to find any of these cereals in France. Maybe I just do not know where to look yet.

Hong Kong has most of the things I missed though, so when George and I went there recently, we brought extra luggage just for groceries.

When I first came to Lyon, I could not find peanut butter, pancake syrup, pancake mix, or a few other things that I knew would be hard to live without. Coworkers were no help, and internet searches only found stores in Paris that carried these types of things, until I found Lyon Eats. That site not only contains directions for finding lots of american products, but when those products cannot be found, they have the closest french approximation! Probably the most important website I found after moving here.

Thanks LyonEats!

No comments: